It’s cold and flu season again. Let’s just not get any of it, K ?
Here’s how I propose we opt out of the majority of winter illness.
1. Avoid contact with sick people.
2. Don’t go to work or school when you are sick.
3. Make a habit of handwashing, with soap, for 15 seconds. Fifteen ! Teach everyone in the house to wash their hands like this when they walk in the door.
4. Get a flu vaccine. ( See photo at right for how it's done. ) Everyone 6 months and older should get one. Children between 2 and 8 can get a nasal spray instead of a shot. The chance of a bad reaction is vanishingly small, but the chances of flu or complications from flu are not insignificant. Pregnant women are especially vulnerable to flu.
Learn more at : http://www.cdc.gov/features/flu/
5. Use a peroxide based mouthwash (like Rembrandt) in the evening after brushing or flossing.
6. Drink lots of herb tea in the day.
7. Use a clean humidifier if your mouth and nose are suffering from cold or heater related dryness.
8. Wipe down your handheld devices (phones) once in a while.
9. Eat well, get enough sleep, and do daily cardio. Moderate daily cardio really strengthens the immune system.
All this will probably help, you know.